Pre Purchase Used Car Inspection
Before you purchase a used car it is a good idea to perform a pre purchase car inspection to determine if there are any issues with your perspective new vehicle. This is a service Chester River Automotive offers. The inspection will include basic items including mechanical, safety, and appearance, such as the vehicles:
- Body condition
The inspection will include a road test and computerized engine analysis to verify that it is not producing any engine computer codes.
Here are some of the other items we look for:
- Body – General inspection of the condition of the car including dents, scratches, and dings. We will note if there is body damage or indications of rust.
- Windows and Mirrors – We will note any chips or cracks in windshield, rear window, side windows, side mirrors and rear view mirrors.
- Wipers – Check the wiper assemblies work and that the blades are in good repair for the front window and the rear window if the vehicle is equipped with a rear wiper blade.
- Tires and wheels – Tires contribute to safety and fuel economy. Some items we will note, are all the wheels the same size, type, brand and age? We measure for tire tread. Measure tire tread and look for curb damage.
- Under the hood – look for oil leaks, exhaust leaks, and exhaust smoke.
- Operation of the doors handles, doors and trunk.
- Are there any odors of smoke or mildew?
- Sound system – test the radio, speakers, CD player.
- Upholstery and Flooring – look at condition of the seats, carpeting, headliner.
- Trunk – inspect the carpeting and verify that the necessary tools, jack, and spare tire are present.
- Lights and other Electric controls: Verify that the headlights, high beams, tail lights, brake lights, parking lights, turn signals are all functioning properly
- Other Electric Controls – Check the operation of air conditioner & heater, electric door locks, electric windows, sunroof, and electric seat controls.
- Other Interior items if equipped – check the glove box, hood release, power port, USB port, headrests, door panels, and vanity mirrors.
- If equipped with keyless entry system does it function properly
- Horn, gas cap, other items installed on the car
Test Drive to Evaluate Performance
- Do all the gauges operate– speedometer, fuel gage, temperature gage or warning lamp, and oil pressure.
- Brake system – brakes grabbing noise, vibration
- Engine or acceleration noise
- Starting ease or noise
- Steering – drifting, pulling, or squeaking
- Transmission – shift quality, smoothness vs slipping
- Temperature and performance of the engine while operating
- Transaxle noise
- Drive axle or CV joint noise
Results of a Pre Purchase Car Inspection
Now that you have your pre purchase car inspection, this is how it can help you.
- A trouble free, good report will make both the buyer and seller feel more at ease with the transaction.
- A report that demonstrates some minor flaws can be used to negotiate a lower price. Or the seller can repair the issues before the sale is completed.
- While a bad report, might make you reconsider the purchase or renegotiate a much lower price, or at a minimum, know what problems you are purchasing.
A thorough pre purchase car inspection gives you peace of mind for any used vehicle purchase. Here at Chester River Automotive we will work with you to help you make an informed buying decision for your new pre-owned vehicle. Schedule your appointment today!